Newton College of the Sacred Heart was a women's college that opened its doors in 1946. The first class graduated in 1950. In 1971, the college founded the Institute of Open Education, which later became Cambridge College. However due to the coeducation of many formerly all-male colleges in universities (Boston College became fully co-educational in 1970), Newton College of the Sacred Heart struggled financially and in June of 1974 merged with Boston College. The last official class to graduate from Newton College of the Sacred Heart graduated in 1975. Boston College recognizes the alumna of Newton College of the Sacred Heart and considers these graduates part of the legacy that is the Boston College Alumni. Today the Newton campus is home to Boston College Law School. The Newton College of the Sacred Heart Newsnotes focused on alumnae related news. It was published from 1968 until 1974.